Founded in 1848 as the first hospital in Hamilton, Hamilton General Hospital has grown to become a leading healthcare provider, not only for the downtown community of Hamilton, but for the entire South Central Ontario region. With state-of-the-art facilities, the General is recognized as a regional centre of excellence in cardiovascular care, neurosciences, trauma and burn treatment.
Committed to the principles of patient- and family-centered care, Hamilton General Hospital is a tertiary care centre serving people from Burlington to Brantford and Niagara Falls to Guelph. The Hamilton General has one of the province's few Burn Units and an Integrated Stroke Unit caring for acute and rehabilitation patients. Patients who require open-heart surgery or cardiac catheterization are also served by the General's innovative and integrated approach to care.
The General is also home to leading edge research. Hamilton Health Sciences' new David Braley Cardiac, Vascular and Stroke Research Institute is the new home to the Population Health Research Institute (PHRI) and the Henderson Research Centre, and will do wonders to enhance cardiovascular research. The PHRI at the General conducts and co-ordinates international clinical trials to improve the health of people in Hamilton and around the world.
The 100,000-square-foot Regional Rehabilitation Centre, which opened at the General site in September 2009, has 91 inpatient beds, providing care to stroke, spinal cord injury, amputee, trauma, neurobehavioural and acquired brain injury patients.